Tyranny of Dragons: The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tyranny of Dragons: The Forum

A Play-by-Forum game of the Tyranny of Dragons D&D adventure campaign, beginning with Hoard of the Dragon Queen and concluding in Rise of Tiamat.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Episode One

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Master of Dungeons
Admin
Master of Dungeons

Episode One - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode One   Episode One - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 24, 2014 5:28 pm

Weeds and roots sprout from the ground, wrapping themselves around the feet of the kobolds, the woman is caught in the middle of the spell as well. Two of the kobolds struggle and free themselves.

[All but two kobolds have become Restrained, the woman has as well. See diagram below.]

The robed men continue to writhe on the ground, only vaguely aware of the woman and the kobolds.

Here is a crude diagram of the kobolds/woman. The s's are snared kobolds, f's are free kobolds, x is the dead one, and the O is the woman:

s--s--f--s--x--s--s--f
_______O_______

The kobolds are arrayed in a shallow semi-circle around her. The robed men are writhing on the ground about 10 feet behind her, and your hiding spot is 10 feet behind them. Gwen is near the southwest corner of the chapel, but the fence separates her from the fight. DC 5 Acrobatics to slip through, and we'll treat it as 5ft of difficult terrain.
Back to top Go down
https://horsewhale.rpg-board.net
Gwenyvere Treasureyes

Gwenyvere Treasureyes

PostSubject: Re: Episode One   Episode One - Page 7 EmptySat Oct 25, 2014 1:11 am

Gwen, seeing that the curtains are pulled closed and that she is needed elsewhere, rushes over to the fence, drawing her bow. If she can make an attack this turn, she shoots in between the slats (which should be plenty wide enough) at the nearest kobold. (Assuming it doesn't know I'm there or that it is within 5ft of the woman, I have advantage r15/1 + 6 = 21 thank god for advantage. Damage 8 = r3 + r1(Sneak Attack) + 4.)
Back to top Go down
Master of Dungeons
Admin
Master of Dungeons

PostSubject: Re: Episode One   Episode One - Page 7 EmptySat Oct 25, 2014 8:15 am

[Due to Nocturne's spell, everyone has advantage on the kobolds that are restrained. However, the closest one to you was the furthest right, and he was not restrained, so your advantage comes in handy. :-)]

An arrow whizzes through the slats of the fence and embeds itself firmly in the face of the rightmost kobold. Blood spatters the kobold next to him. He falls to the ground, dead.

The kobolds and the woman are now aware that someone is behind the fence, though they can't see her because she's too short. They can only make out the movement between the slats of the fence. [They know where you are, but not what you look like.]

s--s--f--s--x--s--s--x
_______O________
Back to top Go down
Torfinn

Torfinn

PostSubject: Re: Episode One   Episode One - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 3:29 pm

Seeing the woman, who was defending her family, now restrained; Torfinn bursts from the treeline to her aid and barrels down on the remaining unrestrained kobold. Planting his foot he heaves his hammer using the momentum of his travel (roll 6 + 7 = 13) (damage: Roll 1 + 5 = 6)
Back to top Go down
Master of Dungeons
Admin
Master of Dungeons

PostSubject: Re: Episode One   Episode One - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 6:42 pm

Torfinn's swing leaves a hammer-shaped imprint in the face of the kobold, and it drops like a sack of potatoes. The remaining kobolds, seeing this, begin straining harder against their bonds. The woman's face shows a mixture of shock and relief.

s--s--x--s--x--s--s--x
____T___O_______
Back to top Go down
AlibastarMarchant

AlibastarMarchant

PostSubject: Re: Episode One   Episode One - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 28, 2014 8:20 pm

Alibastar, noting the kobolds being taken care of, began chanting as he reached into a pouch. He looked to the robed men, producing a couple rose petals and squeezed them. He finished his short chant and released a dust from his hand, a wind carrying it to the middle of the robed men.
(Sleep, 8+7+7+4+3=29)
Back to top Go down
Master of Dungeons
Admin
Master of Dungeons

PostSubject: Re: Episode One   Episode One - Page 7 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 11:50 am

The struggles of the robed men gradually become less frantic; their movements slowing, reactions becoming sluggish, until finally they simply give into the sleep overcoming them. The squirrels cease their assault and gather into a line formation, standing as if proud of the work they accomplished. One of them then begins to nod off and falls flat on his face, asleep.

[Kobolds' turn to follow when I get a minute to write it up.]
Back to top Go down
Master of Dungeons
Admin
Master of Dungeons

PostSubject: Re: Episode One   Episode One - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 31, 2014 1:28 am

The two kobolds closests to Torfinn lash out with daggers. The kobold to his right swings wildly and misses by a wide margin, however the one to his left manages to create a deep gash in his side, despite feet being planted [5 damage].

The kobold furthest left in the formation attempts to break loose from his bonds, but fails. However, the two closest to the woman snap the vines that twist around their feet and move into attacking positions at her right and rear sides.

s--s--x--s--x--------x
------T----O-k-------
-----------k----------
Back to top Go down
Nocturne

Nocturne

PostSubject: Re: Episode One   Episode One - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 31, 2014 10:17 am

Targeting the Kobold in the second row next to the woman, I summon a 30ft long briar vine and attempt to remove it as a threat. Spell melee of 6 + 13r = 19. If that his, the kobold takes 1 whole damage, but moves 10 ft toward me, but more importantly away from her.
Back to top Go down
Master of Dungeons
Admin
Master of Dungeons

PostSubject: Re: Episode One   Episode One - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 31, 2014 5:24 pm

A vine lashes out from the bushes and grabs the kobold to the woman's right. It yanks him back indelicately, leaving a few lacerations behind as it retreats back to the bushes. Despite being out of reach of one of her attackers, the woman cannot yet breathe a sigh of relief. Another murderous cretin flanks her, and she cannot face him to attack or defend herself as the vines springing from the ground still hold her feet in place. With a great exertion of effort, she yanks her feet free, pulling up the roots of the plants that trapped her. She spins around and brings her shield up to her face, ready for the incoming attack.

s--s--x--s--x--------x
------T----O----------
-----------k-----------
--------------k--------
Back to top Go down
Gwenyvere Treasureyes

Gwenyvere Treasureyes

PostSubject: Re: Episode One   Episode One - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 31, 2014 7:57 pm

Gwen moves quickly down the length of the fence, getting a better position to fire on the kobold which ripped itself free of the vines and stands behind the woman, and notching another arrow on the way. Then she drops to one knee, pivoting and aiming through the slats, and leases her arrow at the little brute. (Advantageous attack: r7/r17 + 6 = 23. Damage with sneak attack: r6 + r1 + 4 = 11.)
Back to top Go down
Master of Dungeons
Admin
Master of Dungeons

PostSubject: Re: Episode One   Episode One - Page 7 EmptyFri Oct 31, 2014 9:21 pm

Gwen's arrow goes straight through the kobold's neck and he drops like a sack of bricks.

s--s--x--s--x--------x
------T----O----------
-----------------------
--------------k--------
Back to top Go down
Torfinn

Torfinn

PostSubject: Re: Episode One   Episode One - Page 7 EmptySat Nov 01, 2014 4:28 pm

Torfinn feels the blade tear into his side as he let's out a growl. He lashes out at one of the snared kobolds bringing his hammer down on the disgusting beast. (Roll 16+7 =23) (damage: roll 8+5 =13)
Back to top Go down
AlibastarMarchant

AlibastarMarchant

PostSubject: Re: Episode One   Episode One - Page 7 EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 6:36 pm

Alibastar vaults forward into combat, swiftly drawing his rapier. He deftly charges his way toward the lone kobold behind Torfinn and the woman. With a lunge, he thrust his blade forward toward the beast. (attack roll 13+5=18, damage roll 4+3=7)
Back to top Go down
Master of Dungeons
Admin
Master of Dungeons

PostSubject: Re: Episode One   Episode One - Page 7 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 1:45 pm

Torfinn's mace strikes the kobold so hard that the creature's head comes cleanly off its neck. Blood sprays out in spurts, making quite a mess of Torfinn.

Meanwhile the kobold behind Torfinn and the woman looks down in shock as the tip of a Rapier appears from his chest. He lets out an annoyed sigh before dropping to the ground.

s--x--x--s--x--------x
------T----O----------
------------x----------
--------------x--------
--------------A--------
--------RRR-----------

The kobold on the far left tries urgently to free himself, but trips over his own tangled feet [Prone]. The vines reach up and fully embrace him, leaving him utterly unable to move. Seeing this, the kobold on the right drops into a crouch with his arms shielding his face. He trembles violently with fear. The Robed men are still sound asleep.

The woman pivots on her feet and drives her spear angrily through the frightened kobold's chest. She lets go of the weapon, leaving it embedded in the creature, and runs toward the building behind which her family disappeared. "Cuth!" she whispers, "Cuth, is everyone okay!?" The injured man and three children (two boys and a girl) emerge from hiding. The woman embraces them briefly, then turns back towards the scene of the battle. She approaches Torfinn and holds out her hand. "Thank you! Thank you for saving my family!" she says, "My name is Linen Swift, I am a member of the city guard. I was off duty when the attack began. My husband and I were trying to get to the keep when we were ambushed by these vermin. They chased us down and one of them hurt my husband pretty badly. I don't know who you are, but I am deeply grateful that you were here. Please, come with us to the keep. We're vastly outnumbered out here and it's the only safe place left. Governor Nighthill will be needing every able-bodied person, and you two seem to be quite able."

[She is not yet aware of Nocturne and Gwen.]
Back to top Go down
Nocturne

Nocturne

PostSubject: Re: Episode One   Episode One - Page 7 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 5:59 pm

I will pull a good over my head and do the best I can to hide my horns. Then I will approach near the remaining ensnared Koblod, stabbing him on my way, then dismiss the spell.
Back to top Go down
Gwenyvere Treasureyes

Gwenyvere Treasureyes

PostSubject: Re: Episode One   Episode One - Page 7 EmptyWed Nov 05, 2014 9:30 pm

Gwen squeezes through the fence and walks up behind the woman. "Tell me what is going on here, soldier. We've come to help."
Back to top Go down
Master of Dungeons
Admin
Master of Dungeons

PostSubject: Re: Episode One   Episode One - Page 7 EmptyFri Nov 07, 2014 12:12 pm

Linen does not show any surprise when Gwen and Nocturne emerge. "I figured there had to be more of you." She looks to Gwen, "I have no idea what's going on. These people just came down on us and started pillaging. I was just explaining to your friend here that we are headed to the Keep. It's safer there and Governor Nighthill will no doubt be gathering people to defend the town. I will be forever indebted to you if you would assist us. My husband is injured and my children can't defend themselves, we could use your help to get to the Keep."
Back to top Go down
Nocturne

Nocturne

PostSubject: Re: Episode One   Episode One - Page 7 EmptyFri Nov 07, 2014 5:23 pm

"Of course, there are too many to fight alone. Hurry and get your family safe, we will be right behind you."
Back to top Go down
Gwenyvere Treasureyes

Gwenyvere Treasureyes

PostSubject: Re: Episode One   Episode One - Page 7 EmptyFri Nov 07, 2014 9:23 pm

"Yes, of course. We were headed toward the keep anyway. But do you know of any other hold out positions in the town? Where others might be trapped?"
Back to top Go down
Master of Dungeons
Admin
Master of Dungeons

PostSubject: Re: Episode One   Episode One - Page 7 EmptySat Nov 08, 2014 12:04 pm

"The residents should all know to get to the keep when the town is under attack. It is the designated safe haven. I have no doubts that there are those who have not reached the keep yet, though. Escobert, the keep's Castellan, will have sent scouting parties. At least I would hope so. I know little more about the situation than you do. Come, let's make haste and find our answers!"
Back to top Go down
Gwenyvere Treasureyes

Gwenyvere Treasureyes

PostSubject: Re: Episode One   Episode One - Page 7 EmptySun Nov 09, 2014 11:38 am

"And hopefully we don't get eaten by the dragon."
Back to top Go down
Master of Dungeons
Admin
Master of Dungeons

PostSubject: Re: Episode One   Episode One - Page 7 EmptySun Nov 09, 2014 10:33 pm

Linen wastes no time. With a twist, she pries her spear from the body of the dead kobold. At her signal, her family makes their way over to join the rest of the group. Via hand signs, she indicates that no one is to speak, and she gestures toward the stream that the party was making their way along. [Your previous stealth checks are still in effect, as you did not draw extra attention, and your potential witnesses are out of commission.]

Linen leads the way through the brush, her family close behind her, and the party behind them. You creep quietly through the brush for about 10 minutes before coming upon a gap in your cover. The brush breaks away leaving only exposed stream bank for about 100 feet before cover resumes. Linen holds up her hand, gesturing everyone to stop. She sticks her head out of the brush and checks for patrols. Once satisfied, she grabs her two youngest children and she, her husband, and her oldest child make a break to cross the gap. Despite his injury, Cuth Swift lives up to his name as he and the rest of the family sprint and make it to safety. Once the family is secured, Linen reemerges and signals each of you, one at a time, to cross. When Nocturne is the only one left to cross, Linen sprints back and helps support her weight. It takes more than an ideal amount of time to get Nocturne across, but it seems that the stream is not yet being patrolled and she makes it to safety.

You make it safely through the next patch of brush, following the curve of the hill upon which sits the keep. The brush then swings southward, leaving you with no option but to turn north and risk making the last stretch completely exposed. About 200 feet north, you can see the road leading to the keep as it begins ascending the hill. Groups of frightened people are hurriedly making their way up the path trying to make the safety of the keep. Linen turns to you, "This is our only chance, we have to make a run for it. I will carry you," she says, looking at Nocturne, "The rest of you, please carry one of the children. Cuth will be fine."

With a tremendous burst of speed, you make the hill. At the top, you see a couple of guardsmen ushering people through the gates, setting up a barricade to help deter invaders. They begin to close the gate when one spots you and calls for you to hurry. The moment you cross the threshold, the gate swings shut behind you. Everyone is set back on their feet as you enter into a courtyard packed with people slowly filing into the keep. Near the door, standing on a platform is a dwarf with flaming red hair and beard. He seems to be giving orders and direction to the citizens as they enter. As you make your way forward, following behind Linen, the dwarf spots her. "Swift! 'Bout damn time you got here! Gods damnit, what took you so long!?"

"My family was attacked along the way. These travelers saved us." She looks back at you, "My apologies, this is Escobert the Red, Castellan of Greenest Keep."

The dwarf bows stiffly, "Folks just call me Bear. Thank you for saving Swift, she's one o' the best we've got. Swift, go get your family to the sick bay. I don't suppose the rest of you lot are up for helping the guard?"
Back to top Go down
Nocturne

Nocturne

PostSubject: Re: Episode One   Episode One - Page 7 EmptyMon Nov 10, 2014 12:20 pm

"Thank you Mrs. Swift for assisting my lame body to safety. I vow to keep the Swift family safe and return Greenest from the dangers of the marauders. Is there somewhere in the keep we could get a vantage point of the town without being seen?"
Back to top Go down
Gwenyvere Treasureyes

Gwenyvere Treasureyes

PostSubject: Re: Episode One   Episode One - Page 7 EmptyMon Nov 10, 2014 8:58 pm

Gwen salutes smartly, coming to attention in front of the dwarf. "Sir! Lieutenant Treasureyes, Guardsman Trading Program, Baldur's Gate-Greenest Exchange, reporting for duty, SIR! What can I do to help? I'm great with a bow, and better in the kitchens." She pauses, "if that helps."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Episode One   Episode One - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Episode One
Page 7 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next