Tyranny of Dragons: The Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tyranny of Dragons: The Forum

A Play-by-Forum game of the Tyranny of Dragons D&D adventure campaign, beginning with Hoard of the Dragon Queen and concluding in Rise of Tiamat.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Episode Two

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Master of Dungeons
Admin
Master of Dungeons

Episode Two Empty
PostSubject: Episode Two   Episode Two EmptySun Jul 26, 2015 10:50 pm

"The Raiders have retreated to the southeast," Governor Nighthill says as he addresses the four heroes of Greenest. It is shortly after noon of the day following the invasion and the heroes have rested as much as they were able. Torfinn has been under the care of the castle's healers all morning, distantly dreaming while his broken bones and other injuries--both internal and external--were mended by a combination of surgery and powerful magic. He was awakened by a nurse as his three companions were lead into the room by the Governor, who had informed them of his need to hold palaver. Sam is also present, staring stupidly off into space.

"We believe that they have made camp outside of town," Nighthill continues, "though we have no idea whether this means that they plan to move on from here or if they are simply regrouping in order to make a final push and finish the job. I need to know where they're located, how many they are, who's leading them, what's motivating them, and where they plan to strike next." He raises his right hand and punctuates each item on this list by raising a finger.

After a pause, the Governor sighs deeply and looks at the heroes with a thin, tired smile. The dark circles under his eyes and overall state of dishevelment betray a man who is far more troubled than he has been willing to allow. He screws his face up into a look of grim determination before he goes on: "I would not send a host of soldiers to find this information for me, however I have also never had a need of men and women trained for espionage. While Miss Treasureyes is now one of my own, I suppose, the rest of your are not, by any stretch of the law, soldiers of Greenest. You are however, by my admission, brothers and sisters of this town. It is because of this kinship that I would ask if you are willing to do this job. Your participation would certainly not go unrewarded. I offer each of you, including Miss Treasureyes, a sum of 250 gold for as much information as you can bring me. We will provide you with whatever gear you would need, so long as it's in our power to do so. Please take some time to talk it over, and come find me when you've made your decision." Governor Nighthill takes a courteous, sweeping bow, then turns on his heels and walks out the door.

Sam releases a tremendous belch.
Back to top Go down
https://horsewhale.rpg-board.net
AlibastarMarchant

AlibastarMarchant

Episode Two Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode Two   Episode Two EmptyMon Jul 27, 2015 8:38 am

Alibastar listens intently to Nighthill's assessment of the situation and to his request. The intensity of the encounters leading up to this moment still has him a bit rattled, but he calms himself as he looks over his new companions. Everyone else is worn, and seeing Torfinn lying there he can't help but think of his family, all the families they've saved, and Talis. The only option he sees is to help the town against this threat.
"Well, gents," he bursts out after Nighthill leaves the room, staring skeptically at Sam for a moment. He shakes his head and continues into a rally, "it would seem we're headed out for some espionage and reconnaissance. What do we need, and who's good to go in?" He produces his flask of Gaze and takes a pull with his closing question, offering it to the others.
Back to top Go down
Gwenyvere Treasureyes

Gwenyvere Treasureyes

Episode Two Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode Two   Episode Two EmptyMon Jul 27, 2015 2:09 pm

Gwen sits on the large windowsill, staring out to the Northwest. "I'm much better at getting into places where either children or halflings are common to see. If that group is just lizard people, I'm probably going to have some trouble." She hops off the sill and takes the flask from Alibastar. "Our best bet, especially with you lot, is to get some of those big black cloaks everyone was wearing and try to disguise ourselves under those. I can probably find the materials to make myself look at least halfway like one of the scrawny lizards, but I don't know what to do about the rest of you. Purple skin there, will probably have an easier time of it, since purple isn't a normal skin color, and it's pretty close to blue, like that thing from yesterday. The scale-y look is the biggest problem I think I'm gonna run into." She takes a long pull from the flask and hands it back. "Darkness, though, that'll be our best friend. Just like the other night. And if we knew if they were all lizards... do you think we captured any of the cloak people? That would be more helpful than having your own egg farm behind the omelet restaurant. And that's really damn helpful."
Back to top Go down
Nocturne

Nocturne

Episode Two Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode Two   Episode Two EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 4:28 pm

"I know what it's like to be broken; I'm going to stay by Torfinn's side until he is better. He risked his life to save the town, I'll follow his lead when he is able to speak it. I just wish I could have..." Nocturne attempts to cover her face as she begins to cry.
Back to top Go down
Gwenyvere Treasureyes

Gwenyvere Treasureyes

Episode Two Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode Two   Episode Two EmptyWed Aug 05, 2015 7:37 pm

Gwen finished handing the flask back to Alibastar only to yank it back out of his hands. She pads over to Nocturne and pushes the flask into her purple hands, patting the crying woman's arm.
Back to top Go down
Master of Dungeons
Admin
Master of Dungeons

Episode Two Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode Two   Episode Two EmptyMon Aug 10, 2015 7:48 pm

A young man walks up to you, limping heavily on his bandaged left leg. "Hello, my name is Nesim Waladra. I apologize for eavesdropping, but I hear that you intend to follow the raiders and see where they've gone. I'd like nothing better than to come with you, but in this condition, I'd slow you down. In the midst of all this tragedy, there's no reason you would have heard about the fate of my master, Leosin Erlanthar, but I think it's important that you know. He is a monk from Berdusk. He disappeared last night after we fought a particularly savage battle against the raiders. Myself and a few others fought our way to the keep, barely. Leosin didn't make it at all. We went back this morning to look for him, but all we found was his broken staff and this choker, which he always wore."

Nesim holds up the monk's necklace for each of you to see.

"Leosin has been investigating these raiders for months. I fear that he might have tried to infiltrate their group when they retreated, or worse, was captured and carried away as a prisoner. No one understands these bandits better than he does, and his knowledge will he invaluable against them. When you find their camp, please look for any sign that Leosin is there. One of my brothers has already departed for Berdusk to bring back help, but it will be many days before help arrives. Anything you can do before then would be a godsend."
Back to top Go down
Gwenyvere Treasureyes

Gwenyvere Treasureyes

Episode Two Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode Two   Episode Two EmptyMon Aug 10, 2015 11:44 pm

Gwen looks at Nesim, then turns to Alistar, who she has decided is the party's mouthpiece.
Back to top Go down
AlibastarMarchant

AlibastarMarchant

Episode Two Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode Two   Episode Two EmptyWed Aug 12, 2015 7:36 am

Alibastar makes eye contact with Gwen, then turns to Nesim. "Of course, we'll look for him. We needs as much as we can get working against these raiders. Now rest, we'll take care of this for you. Get well."
Back to top Go down
Nocturne

Nocturne

Episode Two Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode Two   Episode Two EmptyWed Aug 12, 2015 12:36 pm

*Sobs, followed by a deep stuttered inhale. "Ya.. you where hurt too. Wi--ll the misery never end? Of course we will help you Tiny Tim. By master, do you mean your are a slave?
Back to top Go down
Master of Dungeons
Admin
Master of Dungeons

Episode Two Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode Two   Episode Two EmptyThu Aug 13, 2015 6:56 pm

"Er... Well, no. I'm not a slave. I am a monk, and Leosin is my master as in he teaches and trains me."
Back to top Go down
AlibastarMarchant

AlibastarMarchant

Episode Two Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode Two   Episode Two EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 8:36 am

Alibastar looks to Nocturne skeptically, and begins speaking as he reacquires the flask. "Care for a drink?" he asks, turning back to Nesim and offering the flask. "It's a spirit made for stargazers. It's sweet dragon water, enchanted by high ranking stargazer wizards. We share it with those we share a side of a fight with. Drink, and know that your faith in us is well placed."
Back to top Go down
Master of Dungeons
Admin
Master of Dungeons

Episode Two Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode Two   Episode Two EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 9:02 pm

"Is that... Gaze!?" Nesim wonders after pulling a draught from the flask, "If you are a Stargazer, then we are well met indeed. I should not fear for the safety of my master with you and your company on the hunt. I very much desire to speak with you further, and perhaps we shall, but I believe the Governor is awaiting your decision and I would not keep you from him."

Nesim takes another small drink and hands the flask back. He presses his hands flat against each other and takes a short bow, then returns to his cot and props his leg up while pulling a book out from under his pillow.
Back to top Go down
Gwenyvere Treasureyes

Gwenyvere Treasureyes

Episode Two Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode Two   Episode Two EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 6:03 pm

"Hey Ali, what did he just say I drank?"
Back to top Go down
AlibastarMarchant

AlibastarMarchant

Episode Two Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode Two   Episode Two EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 7:48 pm

"It's called gaze. It's dragon water, a liquid harvested from the fire sacks of slain dragons. It's a sweet spirit, but has a nasty tendency to explode. The stargazers worked an enchantment a long time ago that neutralizes that explosive effect, but manages to retain it's flavor and even adds a slightly mind altering effect if used in excess (slightly hallucinogenic). The ingredients added and the spell are kept very secret," he holds up his flask as he finishes, showing the crest of the stargazers. "Taverns all around are given this spirit for free, and dispense it for free only to stargazers. We tend to tip them generously, and the taverns that carry this also tend to offer special care to stargazers, we're a very close community. In exchange, we entertain the patrons with tales of both our adventures and those of The Stargazer... but more later. We really should get to the governor and let him know we're going to check the camp out." He tucks the flask away.
Back to top Go down
Gwenyvere Treasureyes

Gwenyvere Treasureyes

Episode Two Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode Two   Episode Two EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 6:11 pm

"Right. Not going to explode. Got it. Governor, it is."
Back to top Go down
Master of Dungeons
Admin
Master of Dungeons

Episode Two Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode Two   Episode Two EmptyFri Aug 28, 2015 9:17 pm

The Governor is pleased that each of you has decided to track the raiders, and is very interested to hear of your talk with Nesim. He reinforces Nesim's errand, believing that Leosin's knowledge would be invaluable in the task of putting an end to the raiders.

"Before you embark," he asks, "are there any supplies or services you would request of the castle?"

[OOC]

If you have any requests, you may ask the Governor. Otherwise you may begin tracking the raiders, using any skills that you believe you benefit you. The raiders have not been careful to disguise their leaving. A wide swath of trampled grass and foliage leads away from town.
Back to top Go down
Gwenyvere Treasureyes

Gwenyvere Treasureyes

Episode Two Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode Two   Episode Two EmptyFri Aug 28, 2015 9:38 pm

"Any clothing you have in dark browns, greens, or grays. No black. Unless you can find something that fit what the cultists were wearing. But I doubt it, because most cloaks don't cover entire bodies like theirs did and if they do then they don't have big floppy hoods, and if they do then they aren't black, and if they are then they..." Gwen continues to ramble like this for several minutes, but it would be quite easy to talk over her to make a request.
Back to top Go down
AlibastarMarchant

AlibastarMarchant

Episode Two Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode Two   Episode Two EmptyMon Aug 31, 2015 7:31 am

"Gwen is right," Alibastar says reaching down to hush the ranting. "We do need clothing that will help to conceal our identities. We could take a sneaking route, but if we were to have some clothing that matched theirs, we could probably walk in there unnoticed and roam freely. They don't seem so organized as to know each of their comrades by face. I also keep a disguise kit on me. I'm sure that we made an impression on those who had seen us, so outside of our clothing I can hide our identities and give us a more non-descript look." He removes his hand from Gwen's mouth, in hopes that her speaking had been extinguished.
Back to top Go down
Master of Dungeons
Admin
Master of Dungeons

Episode Two Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode Two   Episode Two EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 12:48 am

"We have soldiers gathering the bodies of the slain--both ours and theirs," the Governor responds, "I'm sure we could procure enough of their robes so that you'd each have one. Also, I can have one of my men bring you some of our travel gear. We certainly have some in a range of earth tones. Is there anything else you need? We have waterskins, trail rations, packs, tents..." he trails off. "I'm not sure how long you'll be gone, but we can make sure you're prepared for at least a week."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Episode Two Empty
PostSubject: Re: Episode Two   Episode Two Empty

Back to top Go down

Episode Two
Page 1 of 1